Saturday, December 7, 2013

The horse under the tree

I am the person they tell you not to be in every horse book you have ever read.  Everyone in the horse world is familiar with the old saying, "green and green makes black and blue".  Leave it to horse crazy but essentially clueless me to fall completely head-over-heels in love with an adorable unbroke 3-year old.  I was the very first person to ride her, and I did essentially all of her training myself.  That's not to say that I went it alone, I had tons of help from several different trainers and friends, and I spent hours reading books, watching videos, attending clinics, and doing other research.  But, as of two years ago this Christmas, I became the person who opened up a Pony from Santa (not technically a Pony, she's a horse and she is taller than 14.2, although not by a whole lot).
So now, slightly more than two years since I met her, I sometimes find it hard to believe she's the same horse. I've had a few people get very surprised when they found out her age,  and heard quite a bit of backpedaling following comments about young horses and green riders.
But even so I have the most amazing,  gentle,  responsive,  fun to ride horse that I could ever ask for,  and I am so lucky to have her.

1 comment:

  1. Found you blog through Viva Catlos blog hop & had to go back to beginning. Kika & I also found ourselves in a similar situation (green+green) as you say with the right help there can be exceptions to every "rule", although we're not quite the exception you guys are; K & I have had our fair share of (literal) ups & downs ;-)

    ReplyDelete